Prior exposure to oxytocin mimics the effects of social contact and facilitates sexual behaviour in females
The purpose of this study was to determine whether pretreatment with oxytocin could mimic the effects of social contact and enhance sexual receptivity in female prairie voles. Female prairie voles require prolonged exposure to males to become sexually active and oxytocin has been shown to play a major role in the establishment of social bonds between males and females. Therefore, we hypothesized that prior exposure to exogenous oxytocin, in the absence of males, would enhance sexual activity in females. Two experiments were conducted to test this hypothesis. Experiment 1 examined the capacity of oxytocin to enhance sexual behaviour in females undergoing natural oestrus. Sexually naive female prairie voles received a daily subcutaneous injection of 20 microg oxytocin or isotonic saline for 5 days before being placed with a sexually experienced male for 48 h. Females treated with oxytocin were significantly more likely to mate during this period than saline-treated females. In experiment 2 the ability of oxytocin to increase subsequent sensitivity of sexually naive females to oestradiol was tested. Females that received oxytocin pretreatment, as in experiment 1, followed by oestradiol displayed a significant increase in sexual receptivity when compared to females treated with saline and oestradiol or oestradiol only. The results supported the hypothesis that prior exposure to oxytocin can mimic the effects of social contact, and can facilitate sexual receptivity by increasing the sensitivity of females to very low doses of oestradiol.
Cushing BS, Carter CS.
Department of Biology,
University of Maryland, College Park,
MD 20742, USA.
J Neuroendocrinol 1999 Oct;11(10):765-9
Oxytocin is an FDA controlled substance!
formulation designed to enable the body to release and Accelerate its own Natural Oxytocin.
No comments yet.
- John McCain’s speeches show signs of clinical depression, study finds
- My Experience with Oxytocin
- Oxytocin and infidelity – By Laurel Dewey
- Kirsten Dunst talks about depression
- Angelina Jolie may be suffering from post-partum depression. 3-Question Scale for uncovering Postpartum Depression
- Matthew Mitcham battles back from depression to win Olympic gold.
- Elephant therapy for depression?
- Depression Meds May Be Prescription for Bad Driving
- The Oxytocin Connection – Part 1
- Oxytocin makes love blind?
- Prior exposure to oxytocin mimics the effects of social contact and facilitates sexual behaviour in females
- Oxytocin may mediate the benefits of positive social interaction and emotions
- HBC Protocols
- Brain antioxidant
- Confidence Rx
- 9 Types of Depressive Disorder
- Hangover – Anti Alcohol -Antioxidant
- Solution for mid life depression
- Acid Reflux
- Adrenal and Energy Health
- Arthritis (Osteo)
- Bipolar Depression Natural Solution
- Brain Cognition Stimulators – Brain
- Bone & Joint Health
- Cellular Health
- Circulatory Cardio Issues
- Daily Multi-Vitamin
- Depression & Emotional Mood
- Eye Health
- Fat Inhibitors and Thermogenic
- Female Hormone Replacement
- Hair Health
- Human Growth Hormone
- Inflammation and Allergies
- Intestinal Health
- Liver Health
- Mood Swings
- Pancreas Support
- Prostate Health
- Male and Female Sexual Energy
- Skin Rejuvenation
- Thyroid Health
- Weight Control
- Confidence Rx – It’s ready when you are – Natural Sex pill
- anti-alcohol antioxidant
- brain antioxidant
- carbo blocker
- coral calcium
- depression medication
- Healt care
- hgh patch
- lithium orotate
- SAMe 400
- Siberian Ginseng
- St John's wort
- treating depression