Angelina Jolie may be suffering from post-partum depression. 3-Question Scale for uncovering Postpartum Depression
Angelina Jolie may have some baby blues. Rumors are swirling that Angelina Jolie is overwhelmed and suffering from post-partum depression following the birth of twins Vivienne and Knox two months ago. The Enquirer is reporting that the twins suffer from colic, making for sleep-deprived nights for Jolie, who is also breastfeeding. In Touch is reporting that Jolie suffers mood swings. Throw in the other four kids, and, even life with Brad Pitt on a country estate in France can be a bit gloomy.
3-Question Scale for uncovering Postpartum Depression
A new study found that asking a new mother 3 simple questions as routine screening for postpartum depression may be just as effective as a longer survey.
Karolyn Kabir, MD, Department of Pediatrics, Colorado Adolescent Maternity Program, University of Colorado and Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado and colleagues asked 199 young women, aged 14 to 26 years, to complete the 10-question Edinburgh Postpartum Depression Scale during well-child visits to the paediatrician during the first 6 postpartum months. Three subscales of the Edinburgh Postpartum Depression Scale were examined as ultrabrief alternatives: the anxiety subscale (3 items; Edinburgh Postpartum Depression Scale-3), the depressive symptoms subscale (7 items; Edinburgh Postpartum Depression Scale-7), and 2 questions that resemble the Patient Health Questionnaire (Edinburgh Postpartum Depression Scale-2).
The reliability, stability, and construct validity of the Edinburgh Postpartum Depression Scale and 3 subscales were compared. Criterion validity was assessed by comparison with a score of >=10 on the full, 10-item Edinburgh Postpartum Depression Scale. Researchers found that answers to the 3 questions of the Edinburgh Postpartum Depression Scale that focus on anxiety — a prominent feature of postpartum depression — identified 95% of depressed mothers. It also identified 16% more mothers as depressed than the Edinburgh Postpartum Depression Scale did.
The performance of the Edinburgh Postpartum Depression Scale-2 was markedly inferior, with sensitivity at 48% to 80%. Moreover, the Edinburgh Postpartum Depression Scale-2 was unreliable for mothers who had not been depressed in the past. In clinical situations where a very short screening tool may be necessary, using the 3-item anxiety subscale of the Edinburgh PostpartumDepression Scale is a useful and brief screening tool for a primary healthcare setting in which the goal is to detect postpartum depression, not to assess its severity. The study is published in the September issue of Pediatrics.
No comments yet.
- John McCain’s speeches show signs of clinical depression, study finds
- My Experience with Oxytocin
- Oxytocin and infidelity – By Laurel Dewey
- Kirsten Dunst talks about depression
- Angelina Jolie may be suffering from post-partum depression. 3-Question Scale for uncovering Postpartum Depression
- Matthew Mitcham battles back from depression to win Olympic gold.
- Elephant therapy for depression?
- Depression Meds May Be Prescription for Bad Driving
- The Oxytocin Connection – Part 1
- Oxytocin makes love blind?
- Prior exposure to oxytocin mimics the effects of social contact and facilitates sexual behaviour in females
- Oxytocin may mediate the benefits of positive social interaction and emotions
- HBC Protocols
- Brain antioxidant
- Confidence Rx
- 9 Types of Depressive Disorder
- Hangover – Anti Alcohol -Antioxidant
- Solution for mid life depression
- Acid Reflux
- Adrenal and Energy Health
- Arthritis (Osteo)
- Bipolar Depression Natural Solution
- Brain Cognition Stimulators – Brain
- Bone & Joint Health
- Cellular Health
- Circulatory Cardio Issues
- Daily Multi-Vitamin
- Depression & Emotional Mood
- Eye Health
- Fat Inhibitors and Thermogenic
- Female Hormone Replacement
- Hair Health
- Human Growth Hormone
- Inflammation and Allergies
- Intestinal Health
- Liver Health
- Mood Swings
- Pancreas Support
- Prostate Health
- Male and Female Sexual Energy
- Skin Rejuvenation
- Thyroid Health
- Weight Control
- Confidence Rx – It’s ready when you are – Natural Sex pill
- anti-alcohol antioxidant
- brain antioxidant
- carbo blocker
- coral calcium
- depression medication
- Healt care
- hgh patch
- lithium orotate
- SAMe 400
- Siberian Ginseng
- St John's wort
- treating depression